Vegan Mushroom Risotto
1½ - 2 cups short grain brown rice
5 cloves fresh garlic either pressed or minced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 large sweet onion diced
1 package baby bell mushrooms
1 bunch asparagus
½ cup baby arugula optional
½ cup fresh basil optional
½ cup flat parsley optional
2 tablespoons mellow white miso paste
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme cloves if available
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano if available
3 cup organic vegetable broth
¼ to ½ cup Sari nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook brown rice in vegetable broth. If you use 2 cups of rice use 3 cups of vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. While the rice is cooking prep veggies.
- In a saucepan first water sauté the onion in ¼ cup of water and ½ the garlic. Add water if needed so the onion doesn’t stick to the pan. Then add some veggie broth, about ¼ cup, and add the peppers, asparagus, and garlic, and cook, adding veggie broth as needed so as not to stick to the pan.
- Then add the mushrooms and cook. There should be a little broth in the pan to which you add the miso paste and mash the paste into the sauce to dissolve. This will thicken the sauce, if you need more liquid add some broth. Add the other seasonings and add any of your fresh greens to lightly wilt them and then remove from the heat.
- At this point, most of the liquid is cooked off but still enough so there is lots of moisture in the veggies. You want to arrive at a similar consistency of risotto when you add the veggies to the rice, not too dry and not mushy and runny with liquid.
- In a bowl place the cooked rice, put veggies on top, then the nutritional yeast, and very gently fold in the veggies and nutritional yeast into the rice. Salt and pepper to taste and serve!
- This mixture is great to use in stuffed peppers, baked into patties, and more!!!
Follow Planted Places on your favorite Social Media Channel