Hot Pita Sandwich
1 block tempeh 8 oz cubed for 4 servings
Chicken breast or meat can be substituted for tempeh
1 red bell pepper chopped
½ sweet onion chopped
1 - 2 carrots chopped
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
½ red onion thinly sliced or finely chopped
1 - 2 avocados cubed
Enough mixed greens to put on the bottom of the pita
1 cup barbecue sauce
3 garlic cloves minced
½ teaspoon celery salt
4 Ezekiel pita pockets or collard greens to use as a wrap instead of bread
- In a saucepan add the tempeh, bell pepper, sweet onion, carrot, cilantro, and garlic in enough water, or olive oil, to keep this mixture moist as it cooks.
- Sauté veggies until they're cooked and all is piping hot. Add the celery salt and about ½ cup of the barbecue sauce once all the water is evaporated.
- Heat through and add more sauce to desired taste.
- You can add more sauce later after you fill the pita with everything.
- Fill the pita pocket with a few mixed greens, chopped red onion, and cubed avocado, and top with this cooked mixture.
- Top with more barbecue sauce I’d needed. Enjoy!
- Serve with tossed green salad, slaw, potato salad, or veggies on the side, and homemade pickles!
Follow Planted Places on your favorite Social Media Channel