Lentil Soup with Greens and Herbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 cloves garlic
2 celery stalks
2 cups lentils, mixed brown and red
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 large can of chopped tomatoes or fresh
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh picked greens and herbs chopped/chiffonade
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Olive oil and red wine vinegar to finish
Shaved parmesan or feta
- Toast spices in a dry skillet for 30 seconds then remove.
- Chop onion, garlic, carrots, and celery.
- In a large soup pot sauté onion for a few minutes, add garlic for another minute then add vegetables to soften.
- Add vegetable broth or water and can of tomatoes and lentils.
- Simmer until lentils are done, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon, drizzle of vinegar and oil then top with fresh greens.
Follow Planted Places on your favorite Social Media Channel